By- Staff Reporter | Date- July 15, 2011
A one man commission to be headed by Justice (Retired) SK Kar has been constituted to investigate about the violent protests that took place in Dispur on June 22, 2011. SK Kar, a retired judge of the Judge of Gauhati High Court has been appointed for the purpose by the State Government of Assam.
The inquiry shall be to ascertain the following:
- The actual causes and circumstances leading to the killing of the three persons during the protest (which included a ten year old child accused to be shot dead by policeman), injuries to several persons and loss of properties at Last gate area of Dispur
- To examine whether the police action including firing that took place in Dispur on that day was justified
- To ascertain if any person or organization is responsible for the violence and damage created.
- To find if there is any lapse on the part of any authority and if so to correct the responsibility accordingly
- To suggest corrective and preventive steps so that such incidents do not occur in future
- Any other matter which is relevant to the incident may be decided by the Commission
The inquiry report is to be submitted within three months from the date of the order.
It is to be mentioned that at the call of Akhil Gogoi led Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) and Guwahati Mati Pattan Samiti, a violent day passed in Guwahati on June 22, 2011. Three persons including a child were killed and over 50 people including several policemen were injured when police opened fire to quell a violent protest demonstration against the Government for the recent eviction drive of illegal settlers in and around Guwahati. However several sources later suggested that miscreants from other political parties were involved in the rampage created, which was aimed at destroying Akhil Gogoi’s movement. Akhil Gogoi was later arrested and recently released on bail.